MHA Housing Tribune - December 2021
Housing Tribune - December 2021
A Holiday Message from Monroe Housing Authority!
December brings with it a celebration of Christmas, Kwanza, and Hanukkah as well as many other cultural, religious, and familial activities. No matter how you choose to celebrate, the theme this month seems to center around sharing time, gifts, food, love, and customs with family, friends, co-workers, business partners, and even strangers!
The staff at Monroe Housing Authority wishes a holiday of abundance in all areas for our residents, our partners our entire community. May your new year be filled with good health, happiness and provide avenues to fulfilling your dreams.
Happy Holidays from the Monroe Housing Authority.
ROSS is Here!
What does ROSS mean? Residents Opportunities and Self Sufficiency
How can the ROSS program help you?
- Home Ownership
- Career Readiness
- Youth & Family Services
- Money Management
- Health Services
- Food & Nutrition Services
- Goal Setting
- And More!!!
Sign Up Today!
The Monroe Housing Authority's ROSS Program offers supportive services to our Public Housing residents. Imagine being able to increase your income, enhance your life goals, or overall becoming self-sufficient. Through ongoing one-on-one case management, the ROSS Coordinator will assist ROSS Program participants in assessing barriers that may hinder self-sufficiency and, help them create goals to achieve success. Whether career advancement, furthering education, or basic life skills, the ROSS Program is here for you. To get started, visit our website at https://www.monroehousing-nc.com/ross-assessment-form to complete the form. Submit your ROSS Assessment before January 15, 2022, to receive a gift card.
New Staff Member - Tarquin Rieder - HCV Manager
Monroe Housing Authority would like to introduce the newest member to our team, Tarquin Rieder, as the Housing Choice Voucher Manager.
Tarquin is originally from Scarborough, England. He has lived in the United States since 2005. He has been in affordable housing since 2000. Mr. Rieder was the Project Based Specialist with the Charlotte Housing Authority. He has also been the Portability Specialist and Lead Housing Advisor.
Mr. Rieder enjoys traveling with his wife and they enjoy visiting different small towns in the Carolinas. He also enjoys practicing Yoga to keep active.
Enhanced Website Features for Monroe Housing
Website Update Launched for Monroe Housing Authority
The upgraded website includes the addition of:
Custom Forms - allows residents to submit information securely to MHA staff.
- Business Development: Community Partnerships
- Public Housing & Voucher Program: Informal Conference/Hearing Request
- Public Housing & Voucher Program: Write It, Don't Say It
- Public Housing Income Change Request
- Public Housing: Intent to Vacate
- Public Housing: Maintenance Request
- Public Housing: ROSS Program Needs Assessment Survey
- Public Housing: Resident Opportunity and Self-Sufficiency Assessment
- Voucher Program: HCV Income Change Request Form
- Voucher Program: Rental Increase Request (Landlord)
Additional forms will be added regularly.
Some of the features/functions on the new website include:
- News Sort Feature
- Sort news by year and categories; CARE, ROSS, Landlords, and Resident Services
- Enhanced Contact Form
- The general contact form now features a drop-down menu allowing inquiries to be submitted by topic category, allowing responses to be handled in a timely manner by MHA staff.
All residents, landlords, and the general public are encouraged to visit the website and sign up for news & notifications. Website administrators will be able to publish important information including upcoming events, news, and more to those who have subscribed. The new website will be updated continually with new information that will benefit all residents, landlords, and the public at large.
Brooks Jeffrey Marketing, based in Mountain Home, Arkansas, was awarded the contract for the upgraded website. Established in 1984, Brooks Jeffrey Marketing provides integrated marketing solutions: advertising, branding, photography, public relations, promotional items, websites & social media campaigns to businesses, government entities & non-profits throughout the US. Brooks Jeffrey offers customized integrated marketing solutions to Housing Authorities.
For more information, contact:
Anna McRae, Executive Director
504 Hough Street, Monroe, NC 28112
Three Ways to Cut Your Heating Costs
- Always wear socks. If your feet are cold the rest of your body will be cold.
- Close your curtains when it's dark outside. Curtains keep your heat from escaping through the windowpanes.
- Lower your thermostat in the winter and keep it higher in the summer. Of course, the thermostat level determines how much energy is being used and usage determines the amount of your bill.
Key Things to Know About COVID-19 Vaccines
What You Need to Know
- Everyone ages 5 and older can get vaccinated against COVID-19. Learn how to find a COVID-19 vaccine.
- COVID-19 vaccines are effective at helping protect against severe disease and death from the virus that causes COVID-19, including known variants currently circulating (e.g., Delta variant).
- The benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, which are rare.
- As with other routine vaccines, side effects may occur after vaccination. These are normal and should go away within a few days.
- People who are fully vaccinated can resume many activities they did before the pandemic. However, people should wear a mask indoors in public if they are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
- If you received a Pfizer-BioNTech (ages 12 and older) or Moderna (ages 18 and older) mRNA COVID-19 vaccine primary series and have a moderately to severely compromised immune system, you should receive an additional primary dose of the same mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at least 28 days after the second dose.
- Everyone ages 18 years and older who are fully vaccinated are eligible to receive a booster shot.
- Unlike many medications, the COVID-19 vaccine dosage does not vary by patient weight but by age on the day of vaccination.
- People can get a COVID-19 vaccine and other vaccines, including the flu vaccine, at the same time.