If you are interested in this position, please send your resume via email to Marissa Stanback.
Summary: MHA currently provides maintenance services to 206 affordable housing units in the City of Monroe, NC.
Essential Job Functions: The supervisor position is a full-time permanent position that may require on-call nights and weekend duty rotations for emergency coverage. Duties include maintenance work as well as the supervision of maintenance staff engaged in unskilled and semi-skilled work assignments. Maintains records and prepares reports in accordance with regulations. Employee must exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative to ensure that the activities of the department are properly scheduled, repair work is accomplished in a timely and proper manner, and personnel is efficiently supervised.
- Coordinate the work of a small maintenance crew engaged in the maintenance and repair of housing units.
- Schedule and manage vendor contracts.
- Assign work orders to staff to efficiently make repairs to housing units.
- Maintain required records and reports related to unit and site maintenance.
- Review, approve and complete work order forms. Perform quality control inspections of work performed.
- Inspect grounds, work in progress, and completed work to ensure that it complies with established standards.
- Ensure that maintenance personnel is properly trained by monitoring the progress of new hires and ensuring that employees receive training on new regulations and procedures.
- Participate in the hiring process by assisting in interviewing applicants for employment and making hiring recommendations.
- Submit time and leave reports for the maintenance staff
- Assist with the performance appraisals for maintenance staff and participate in the discussion with employees.
- Counsel employees regarding job performance and document in accordance with established procedures.
- Recommend disciplinary action as needed.
- Perform maintenance tasks and provide the housing manager with recommendations as needed.
- Assist in the procurement of outside contractors when necessary and help establish general guidelines and priorities in the contractor's projects.
- Participate in annual inspection of units to determine needs for preventative and restorative repairs.
- Conduct regular inspections of units to determine the need for maintenance of any aspect of housing units, including major equipment.
- Make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures in response to changing conditions, requirements, regulations, or technology.
- Assist in preparations of maintenance budget for each site.
- Inspect vacated apartments, complete the make-ready list, and inform the manager of status.
- Perform a wide variety of electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and preventative maintenance tasks.
- Regularly conduct an inventory of equipment, tools, parts, and supply of materials, and order parts, equipment, and materials as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the basic principles of management and supervision
- Knowledge of housing quality standards and other maintenance-related standards
- Acquire knowledge of the agency's policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the physical layout of the site properties
- Knowledge of building and grounds maintenance, including standard practices, methods, tools, and materials, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, painting, carpentry, and groundskeeping
- Knowledge of safety rules, including accident causation and prevention
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions
- Ability to supervise a comprehensive maintenance program for an affordable housing agency
- Ability to analyze information from inspections to determine the maintenance needs, and the quality of maintenance services
- Ability to develop plans, and procedures for efficient and timely completion of work
- Ability to maintain records in an orderly fashion
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, subordinates, co-workers, residents, contractors, and the general public
- Ability to prepare recommendations and reports, as required
- Ability to read, understand and work from sketches and blueprints
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Substantial knowledge of buildings/grounds maintenance practices and techniques
- A working knowledge of practices and methods used for carpentry, plumbing, heating/air, painting, electrical, and janitorial work.
- A working knowledge of applicable state and federal building codes and housing quality standards, including knowledge of EPA's lead paint Renovation, Repair, and Painting requirements.
- Supervisors must be skilled in the use of equipment and tools commonly used in buildings and grounds maintenance and must have the ability to develop work specifications, read and interpret written instructions, and prepare work progress reports.
- Supervisor must be able to identify deferred maintenance and develop capital plans for inclusion in the budgets.
- Computer knowledge and the ability to operate efficiently is required. Must be proficient in Outlook and Microsoft Office.
- Valid Driving License and insurable
- Ability to operate company vehicles
- Physical aspects of the job require, from time to time, heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing, balancing, and carrying heavy objects.
- Five (5) years of experience in supervising maintenance staff is preferred; strong leadership skills are required.
HVAC and/or Electrician Certification is preferred but not required.
Monroe Housing Authority is an Equal Opportunity employer. Applicants will be evaluated for this position based solely on qualifications without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, religion, age, or sex. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory review of the applicant's background check.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. Incumbents may not perform the entire job duties listed, and incumbents may perform duties that are not listed. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- 8-hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Supervising Experience: 3 years (Preferred)
- Maintenance: 5 years (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- HVAC Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations